In 2018, the Deerfield River Watershed Chapter of Trout Unlimited voted to change the name of the Single Fly event to honor former president Jim ‘Pepe’ Gariepy who passed away in December, 2017. Jim was a powerful force in our chapter and he took responsibility to organize the Single Fly event over the four years prior to his passing. In 2017, he was part of the winning team.
This year, 2019, the event will be held on June 1and 2 to coincide with free fishing weekend (no license required) in Massachusetts. Even if you do not consider yourself a ‘competitive’ fly fisher, you should consider entering the event for several reasons:
- The single fly aspect of the event removes the ever present impulse to change flies. The impulse can be channeled into trying new ways to present your fly and exploring new locations on the Deerfield. Your fly fishing skills will be challenged to improve if you actively participate in this event.
- Guaranteed low flows on the Deerfield (weather permitting).
- Comraderie: There will be an opening breakfast Saturday and a closing cookout Sunday where you can share your love of fly fishing with like-minded individuals from all over.
- Raffle Prizes: we have already received pledges of rods, reels and other equipment and services from the Swift River Fly Fishing, Deerfield Fly Shop, Overwatch Outpost, Fish Tale Fabricators and more to come. Everyone who enters the tournament gets one raffle ticket as part of their entry fee.
If you do consider yourself a ‘competitive’ fly fisher, the chapter is putting together a parallel competition on Sunday. As part of the effort to honor Jim Gariepy, the chapter is integrating a new format for a more formal ‘tournament’ for the four top contenders in Saturday’s portion of the Single Fly. These four will compete in two sessions on ‘beats’ on Sunday, while all other participants continue with the Single Fly. Watch this space for more information about this exciting development.
Single Fly rules (for all participants Saturday and most participants Sunday)
- Catch and release with barbless hooks and safe handling practices for caught fish.
- Participants are limited to three exact copies of one fly for Saturday and three exact copies of one different fly for Sunday.
- Participants follow the honor system for scoring fish – tape measures will be supplied. Your team mate will be asked to confirm your tally.
- Single Fly hours from 8:00AM to 9:00 PM Saturday and from 5:00AM to 4:30PM Sunday
- Single barbless hook, no chemical scents.
- Follow all MA fishing regulations.
- Fishing from watercraft prohibited.
This is a fun event and many other fisher folk will be out for the weekend. Please be respectful of others by maintaining reasonable space (30-50 feet) between anglers and practicing proper etiquette on the river.
7:00 AM Set-up; Pre-Registered Participants may obtain tournament materials
8:00 AM Single Fly Saturday Officially begins
8:00 – 9:00 AM Breakfast
8:00 – 11:00 AM Registration open
9:00 PM Single Fly Saturday Officially Ends
9:00 – 10:00 PM Submit tallies for the day to enter Competitive Event
5:00 AM Single Fly Sunday begins
8:00 AM Four Anglers meet at Shunpike to prepare for Competitive Event
8:30 – 11:30 AM Competitive Anglers’ Session 1 at four beats
11:30 – 1:00 PM Competitive Anglers break for lunch
1:00 – 4:00 PM Competitive Anglers’s Session 2 at four beats
4:30 PM Single Fly Sunday Officially ends
5:00 Closing Cookout at Zoar Picnic Grounds
5:15 PM Deadline for submission of Single Fly Tally Sheets (at Zoar Picnic Grounds)
5:45 PM Awards and Honorable Mentions; Raffle
6:00 PM Closing and clean-up
TU Members: $25.00
Special for Non-Members One Year TU Membership: $17.50 (Entry & Membership $42.50)